Friday, August 7, 2009

Thing #10 - Virtual Worlds

I was first introduced to Second Life at a TCEA workshop. (I would have to say it was one of the worst presentations I have ever sat through - which probably biases my attitude as a whole.)I had to go back and take a look later to try to make any sense of it at all. I found the whole site to be very time consuming. Why bother to "walk" up a flight of stairs and down the hall to find information? Give me a link to click on any day!
Meeting and chatting with other people on the site could be beneficial.I just could never figure out how you knew who was supposed to be when and where. It seemed to lead to random success.
Also, the concept of broadcasting conventions could be useful. It would be difficult to gain access to all breakout sessions, but at least the keynote speakers could be online.
Virtual worlds for kids have been around for years. My own kids played them at home for awhile. At school, our students would let us know the latest fascination, but if we played them with any frequency, the sites would soon be blocked by Tech Services. Which was okay by me. Most of the sites were really more of a gaming venue. I really prefer for the computers at school to be used with a clear learning objective in mind.

No comments: